2011-01-31

Number fun

Age number fun.
I've been thinking... which in itself is a dangerous pastime, but nevertheless, I have... been thinking...

This year, between 7 March and 15 June, I'll be exactly 2x my son Jacques' age! And, what is more, this will never again happen in our lives. So I wondered what other interesting milestones of that nature we may have passed already, and will see in future. So for what it's worth, I present:

an infinite number progression

Check out the graph. The blue line is my age and the red line is Jacques' age. The green line is the factor achieved by dividing Age L by Age J as the ages are in that window 07/03 to 15/06 each year.

To point out a few points, as it were:

I was 31 while Jacques was 1, so I was 31x his age
I was 35 while he was 5, so I was 7x his age
and so the factor goes down rapidly but soon starts slowing down:

When I'm  90 he'll be 60, so I'll be 1.5x his age.
When I'm 110 years old (not that I'm planning to get that ancient!) he will be 80; I'll be 1.37x his age. The factor keeps getting smaller and smaller approaching the whole number 1, but it will never, ever get there!

Isn't that neat?

No comments: